Hey, this is my place. Grab a seat and relax for a bit. If you are expecting deep philosophical blather you are going to be dissappointed. You have been warned as some of the opinions discussed on this blog are the opinions of the owner and may or may not align with your own.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A new season begins...Go Vikes!!

Well, tonight I returned home from this years fantasy draft. I can honestly say that this year's draft went much better than last years. The thing I am concerned about is my team, not my draft team, the Minnesota Vikings. This year could be a painful one for the Vikes. The days of the superstars are gone. No Culpepper, no Moss, no Carter, no anyone really. Adrian Peterson could be a bright star, but he is untried and unproven in the pros. It sounds kinda stupid really, however there is no real face of the Vikings. I was at the final pre-season game against Dallas and it was Matt Birk that lead the team out, I like Matt Birk so don't get me wrong however when was the last time you saw a team led onto the field by an offensive lineman? Most teams, the fans couldn't name one of their offensive line. It is a strange time for the Vikings, they are a team that is brand new for all intents and purposes. I have been a Vikings fan all my life and in being a fan I have always had that familiarity with my team. This year I can't say that. I am a fan of the Vikings, I just don't recognize the team. Oh well, I will watch the games and most likely have my heart broken yet again for another season..in the end that is what makes a fan. The willingness to watch with all the hope in the world only to have it smashed to pieces. After all these years I still bleed purple.

3 comments:

Jason said...

The Vikings are on the news all the time here in Oklahoma. Everyone down here is excited about Adrian Peterson in the pros. I think it's the only way to get Sooners fans interested in the pro game. It's kind of funny, really.

Anonymous said...

Do they root for Dallas down there due to proximity or is kind of like how people in South Dakota feel about the Vikings?

Jason said...

You'd think they'd latch onto a pro team, but they don't. Maybe because through most of its existence, the OU team has been unofficially professional.

If it's not Sooners, it gets little attention here. The OSU Cowboys get some, but they are the uncontested "little brother" in this state.

Most Oklahomans would probably say "NFL? What is an NFL?"

Or, more to the structure of local conversation: "Huh? Y'all talkin' 'bout them overpaid Nancy-boys up north?"

Hehe.