Hey, this is my place. Grab a seat and relax for a bit. If you are expecting deep philosophical blather you are going to be dissappointed. You have been warned as some of the opinions discussed on this blog are the opinions of the owner and may or may not align with your own.

Monday, September 17, 2007

The paranormal...real or load of crap???

Well here we go...a study on the paranormal. According to Wikipedia, their description of the paranormal is as follows, "Paranormal is an umbrella term used to describe a wide variety of reported anomalous phenomena. According to the Journal of Parapsychology, the term paranormal describes "any phenomenon that in one or more respects exceeds the limits of what is deemed physically possible according to current scientific assumptions."[1] For this reason, the scientific community often avoids research on the paranormal, believing that it may not conform to the standards required by the scientific method."

Many people whole heartedly believe that the other side does indeed exist. In my personal experience I have no first hand experience that would prove whether the other side exists or not. I have however been privy to information although not firsthand that could make one at least venture the thought that some things just can't be explained through normal scientific venue.

One of my favorite shows on television is a series named Ghost Hunters on Sci Fi. The thing I respect about these guys is that they go into any investigation with the intent to disprove it, not prove it. Many of the other television shows that also report on the topic of the paranormal seem intent on proving that the paranormal exists. The guys from TAPS (The Atlantic Paranormal Society) go after these occurrences with a fervor to debunk the phenomena. The footage that I have seen has made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Does it prove anything, hardly, just that some of the things that they have documented either via video, thermo, or EVP (Electronic voice phenomena)are not easily explained.

That is all for this episode people, now I am off to bed to sleep with the light on.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I have yet to watch that show. I suppose, since it's kind of in line with what I'm interested in, I should.

But, really. Even when I watch magicians I'm amazed but not that impressed. I know it's a trick, and if I knew what the trick was it wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting. And I know I'll never know the trick, so I don't watch.

I guess I have similar feelings about ghost stories.

But I should watch.

Mike said...

Some episodes are better than others. They do have some investigations that show nothing at the end. These guys are for real..they tell it like it is.

Jerry said...

I hate to be a skeptic but from the shows that I have watched I have not seen anything that could not be created via special effects. Count me in the "Not Impressed" crowd.