Hey, this is my place. Grab a seat and relax for a bit. If you are expecting deep philosophical blather you are going to be dissappointed. You have been warned as some of the opinions discussed on this blog are the opinions of the owner and may or may not align with your own.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

SNL...top 5 of all time

If you had the chance to answer, who would they be? Would you go for the classic "not ready for prime time players" or would it be the more recent flock that has either been brilliant or completely sucked? Out of all of them, I would have to put Belushi as the top. John was the epitome of the funny guy that was completely fucked up in real life..a tortured soul that made millions laugh their assess off whether it be on small screen or the big screen. I would have to say my next favorite was Dan Aykroyd...I like Dan because of his creativity in writing a good chunk of the sketches his best Elwood Blues, Fred Garvin male prostitute. Next I would put Gilda in there. She was funny..plain and simple her best...Roseanne Roseannadanna I would have to say Steve Martin would be my next choice a wild and crazy guy...and that is all I have to say about that. My final entry in the top 5 of all time would have to be Chris Farley...Matt Foley was a shining example even if he did live in a van down by the river

3 comments:

Jason said...

For all the years that have been terrible on that show, and for all the annoying performers they've had, I have a hard time narrowing it down to five. But here goes:

5. Martin Short - Ed Grimley is timeless.
4. Phil Hartman - His Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer bit kills me every time.
3. Eddie Murphy - I'm Gumby, dammit!
2. Chris Farley - Now he's dead in a van down by the river, but he was so funny David Spade and Christina Applegate couldn't stop laughing on stage.
1. John Belushi - Yes. He really was the best.

I think only the first couple seasons of the show were artistically valuable, but they've had some great performers. What does it say that three of the people on my list died young(ish) and a fourth (Eddie Murphy) hasn't been funny, except as an animated donkey, in decades?
1.

Mike said...

I struggled with both Martin and Phil in not putting them into my top 5. Eddie on the other hand was not a contender in my book. I did enjoy his performance in BHC I and his stand up stuff, however I never found him funny on SNL. Even the Gumby bit was weak. I do have to agree that both Phil and Martin deserve an extremely high honorable mention outside of the top 5 for me.

Nik said...

Ok, so here's my Top 5:
1) John B - 3 words: Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheeseburger!
2) Dan A - Jane, you ignorant slut!
3) Phil H - his Bill Clinton is still the best.
4) Gilda R - one of the funniest women ever.
5) Chris F - I can still only take him in small doses (can't watch a whole movie of his yet), but I totally wanted to be in that van down by the river!